Friday 1 January 2010

Feature Article

On a bright, crisp day in London‘s East End, House Party sat down with new artist Nisha Irie to probe into her heart and soul and find out her thoughts and feelings on love, music and her future. Just who is Nisha Irie?

With 11 GCSEs under her belt, at 17, Nisha Irie may seem like the typical teenager, but she oozes the confidence and knowledge of someone far older. ‘I’ve had to grow up much faster than all of my friends,’ she says, ‘There’s a lot of pressure on me at the moment, a lot of people are counting on me but I try not to focus on it.’ Her music has been described as a style of electronic dance music combined with soulful house, and as her debut single Feelin’ Irie increases in popularity at concerts and radio stations all over England, Nisha Irie’s summer will be a whole lot different from one of a typical teenager, but that’s nothing new to Nisha. She hasn’t been ‘normal’ since March 2009 when millions of viewers watched her win T4’s Who’s Got Soul? She showed her amazing vocal range and dance ability, which reduced UK singer, Mutya Buena to tears in the final.

As if that wasn’t enough, this up-and-coming South Londoner toured the world with UK artists such as, Shea Soul and Basement Jaxx. She has even started recording with Daft Punk and American house artist, Ultra Naté. With chart-topping singer and producer Calvin Harris as a label mate, it’s won’t be long before she achieves the same success.

Now we can find out how....

How does it feel to be Nisha Irie right now and how has your recent rise to stardom affected your life?

It is so crazy right now. My schedule is so busy! I’m having to run around all over the place but I’m not complaining, I’m loving it at the moment, it’s very fun! I haven’t had much time to see my family and friends as much as I would like to, but I guess every good thing has a bad side to it.

So how did it all start?

My passion for music began at an early age, I loved writing poetry when I was in secondary school about twelve or thirteen. Then the poems slowly adapted into song lyrics. My school held a talent show at the end of the year and I didn’t really feel confident at this stage but with the support of family and friends I entered and won. Following this, a teacher at school approached me and convinced me that I could actually have a career in the music industry. That’s when I started taking it seriously. I applied for a new music competition hosted by T4, Who’s Got Soul? Not knowing that I would eventually go on to win. I have now signed a deal with Raw Artistic and have released my single with them. I think I’ve come a long way.

You sure have. Tell me a bit about your single Feelin’ Irie?

It has very soulful sound to it but with an electro dance beat. It was produced by Hazardous Wretch, a well-known underground producer. It’s a fun girly tune talking about how us girls can have fun without a man around. But seriously I think a lot of guys need to learn to respect women.

(Laughing) Boys, you better watch out! Are you seeing anyone at the moment?

No, not at the moment, I don’t think a boyfriend is needed right now. I’m much more focused on my music career and I would rather commit myself to music. Anyway, there's plenty of time for that later!

Do you write your own songs?

I write most of them, I enjoy writing lyrics and poetry in my spare time so it’s not a chore. Some of my songs are written for me but that’s just because people think the song would suit me or have written it especially for me. I think it’s important for artist to write some of their own material because it does make you feel more content and accomplished once the final piece is finished.

Where does your inspiration to write songs come from?

I tend to write songs that reflect my life and experiences that I have gone through. I think that way, people can relate to the lyrics and not just dance along to a catchy beat. I wrote a song called ‘Holey Socks’ about being broke, everyone can relate to that!

Do you want to do anything else apart from music?

I love to dance. If I didn’t go into music I would be a professional dancer or choreographer, I guess dance does contribute to what I’m doing now though. Fashion also plays a big part in my life and I’m hoping that some day I will be able to start my own fashion label.

Do you have any advice for people looking to become a music artist?

You have got to believe in yourself and have a tight family unit, it doesn’t have to be blood relatives, but anyone who will support you throughout your choice. Practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect!

So in a perfect world what do you think the future has in hold for you?

I want to be a success, I want an album that my fans and the world can appreciate and enjoy. I would love to be able to bring new artists into the scene and help them out with their dreams particularly girls as I think it was much harder for me to evolve in such a male-dominated industry. There’s a lot of madness happening on the streets at the moment like gun and knife crime and if I can help just a few people turn their backs on that sort of life it would be a great accomplishment. I think once people have found something they really love and work hard for it, it keeps you focused and involved and off the streets.

 

Nisha Irie’s single Feelin’ Irie is out now on Raw Artistic.

Words by Kizzy Bastida and Photography by Tuann Dao.

No comments:

Post a Comment